Sunday, January 28, 2007

Singapore Slingin'

One week of indulgence in Bali, Indonesia has ended. Edwin and I have left one of the most green, lush, and colorful islands to find ourselves disjointed among concrete, glass, steel, and duty-free... alas we are back in Singapore, one of the richest city-states in the world.

We decided to go back to our roots and spend the night shuffling with the crowds in what I think was the cleanest and classiest Chinatowns-ever. Little did we know, we were in Chinatown during one of the busiest nights of the year- the opening ceremony of the 2-week Chinese New Year celebration. We witnesses hundreds of lion dances, firecrackers, an appearance by the Prime Minister, and the lighting of the Chinese New Year lanterns. Singpore has a lot of Chinese people. And with that comes GOOD (inexpensive) FOOD.

Now off to Dad's side- Little India. It was time to do one of those 'a day in the life of dad' episodes.. Granted we were thousands of miles away from India.. this was the next closest thing. First thing I noticed after stepping off the MRT stop- the smell of curry, incense, jasmine, and um... b.o. Bought some bangles and Edwin 'splurged' on an Indian Rap CD. It has some bumpin' beats. Indians know how to throw a hot beat together.

Today's agenda- hunt for the original Singapore Sling at the famed Raffles Hotel.. and a night safari. Yes, it's random. But whatever, if I want to see giraffes in this crazy mecca, then I will damnit!

Until our next adventures...