Monday, February 26, 2007

SEA TREK


Due to the lack of reliable internet (and computer) for the past month, I am finally able to sitdown and write down highlights of my trip stomping the green, gray, and brown lands of Southeast Asia. I jotted some notes while traveling, but after reviewing my ramblings of "how I wish I put more sunscreen because now I have a slew of swollen mosquito bites" and "omg, I'm going to die on this plane....", I've decided to write the not so awful moments. I've always fancied Lonely Planet's "Quick Guide to...(name that city)" so here it goes, the compressed, down-to-the-point (with pictures) travel log of the past month livin' out of a backpack.

A Brief stay in MALAYSIA
After a brief stay in Singapore (read below), Edwin and I hopped on a 5 hour bus ride to Kuala Lumpur, the capital city of Malaysia.
We didn't have much time to roam around, but KL was a down sized version of Singapore, just dirtier. It's a mix of glitzy skyscrapers and grime. One of the main arteries in KL, the Bukit Bintang area, can be best described as a baby Picadelli Circus. The streets of KL are twisted and disjointed, so one can feel the impact of how fast the city sprawled. Didn't love or hate KL, it was just... ehhhh... Good Chinese food though! Or was it Malaysian food... I guess is just a spicer version of Szechuan-style Chinese food. We wanted to check out the Petronas Towers, too bad we couldn't make it to the top, but hung around the glitzy mall instead and ate a killer burger and drank mojitos and moscow mules. I guess if all else fails, a good cocktail does the trick.

PHUKET, THAILAND
"Swateeka!!!!"
Edwin and I flew into Phuket in the afternoon and IMMEDIATELY noticed how aggressive the gov't was in trying to build their economy via tourism industry post-tsunami. All the flights were full, which was sealed deal that tourists were still flocking to 'paradise on earth.' The beaches in Kata, away from the cluttered Patong Beach, were white, pristine, and quiet. Teeny bikinis (not on the bodies) and speedos were a clear sign that these vacationers were Europeans. Although this was our first trip to Phuket, things seemed 'normal,' by normal I mean CRAZY. Backpackers, expats, "massageee, massagee!" 'how many people can fit on this boat?" "you want how much for that piece of crap necklace?" "was that just an elephant on the sidewalk?" "200 baht each? I'll take it for 50. Thanks." "That woman was HOT? Wait.. was that a dude? Well, that dude was HOT!" "Edwin, how much do you have? Umm.. I'll throw in some Singapore dollars? (big smile)"

We spent a day on Phi Phi Island (and surrounding islands) which were by far, one of the most beautiful beaches on earth. As everyone knows, Leo DiCaprio's "The Beach" was filmed here. Although we didn't visit the actual cove it was filmed, it was pretty damn close to Paradise Island as you can get. Just check out the pictures.

BANGKOK
What can I say about Bangkok. I feel madly in love with this city. You either love or hate this city. Bangkok is a city of sin, smog, and skyscrapers. I've never seen so many beautiful people in my life, even those who changed genders.. the people are gorgeous. The people were humble and charming, even when bargaining I wanted to buy everything because the vendors didn't attack me! Edwin and I ate at "MK," a Thai/Chinese style hot pot restaurants two nights in a row. It was so good and cheap we went back for more. Shopping was dizzying there were so many super shopping malls and markets that it literally made both Edwin and I lightheaded from all the conspicuous consumption that engulfed us.. The temples were grand, besides the tuk tuk driver who insisted that he was taking us to see the "lucky buddha" and ended up in a tourist-only jewelry TRAP. We indulged in cheap food and treats and sleeping in our lush beds, knowing the next day we would be on our way to one of the poorest countries in the world- Cambodia.

More updates and pictures to come!