Friday, October 20, 2006

The tension of opposites.

A book worth reading:
Tuesday's with Morrie" by Mitch Albom.

Here's an excerpt that made me think about my life. Everyday we must make choices- some could be as simple as what to teach the kids next week, but others can be more serious, like what am I going to do with my life after Korea....
(oooooooo-saaaaa... just breathe.) No worries, things will certainly fall into place.

An excerpt:
"Have I told you about the tension of opposites?" he says.

The tension of opposites?

"Life is a series of pulls back and forth. You want to do one thing, but you are bound to do something else. Something hurts you, yet you know it shouldn't. You take certain things for granted, even when you know you should never take anything for granted.

"A tension of opposites, like a pull on a rubber band. And most of us live somewhere in the middle."

Sounds like a wrestling match, I say.

"A wrestling math." He laughs. "Yes, you could describe life that way."
So which side wins, I ask?

"Which side wins?"

He smiles at me, the crinkled eyes, the crooked teeth.

"Love wins. Love always wins."

Currently, I feel like I'm stuck in the middle. I have a habit of being indecisive. Do I really want to study more? Or do I follow my heart and make a complete career change? Which jobs should I apply to? Where do I want to live? Do I really want to go to law school in a few years? What about relationships- what am I really looking for? Does distance really make the heart grow fonder (haha, that was cheesy, I had to throw that in there...)
Working in Korea sometimes feels like I'm stuck somewhere between college and the real-working world. This is true. I'm neither in school nor so I have a full-time job. I've also been teaching for half a semester already- how quickly time flies.

I met another American English teacher last night. She has been teaching in Jeju for over a year. I asked her if her year went by fast or slow. Some days feel painfully long and frustrating... but others feel like only seconds have gone by.

Her answer? "If you have fun and enjoy your job, hell yea a year goes by real fast."