Currently the Go4+2 is planning a pretty sick trip to Bali, Indonesia. Be jealous.


Let's update on what I have been doing in Taiwan....
I arrived in Taipei last Wednesday (yup I am still here...) a day after I flew back to Jeju from Busan... Talk about speedy packing. The non-stop flight was under 2 hours. I met with two of my aunts at the airport... first stop... NIGHT MARKET!
I basically stuffed myself with food, hopping around from stand to stand on the streets and feeding my face. I might as well eat a lot now, because when I get back to Jeju, I'll end up losing the weight because um... the won't taste as good. The past few days have been spent running around visiting uncles, aunts, and cousins all over. It has been exhausting, but fulfilling. It's such a relief to hear Mandarin and actually understand the language. My mom's brother's family flew in from Shanghai for a few days, so we met up and ate tons of food. We also met with one of my grandfather's students, who used to be the fastest woman in Taiwan! She even won a gold medal back in the day...super famous and well respected.


This week-long trip has one goal- food. The first full day, I went to this famous restaurant tucked away in Yangmingshan mountain outside of Taipei. It's one of those "invite-only" places, and there is no menu. So you just show up, walk around this elaborate garden, and sit down for a three-hour meal. Who knew eating would be so time consuming! The food can only be described as a fusion of Taiwanese-Japanese. I kept laughing because if my dad were there, he would comment on how he could present the dishes even better... always joking. (Each food was presented like art, sometimes too pretty to eat.)





A few nights ago I went shopping at Ximending, the hip night district where the trendsetters hang out. It reminded me of Myongdong in Seoul, but much more spread out. I decided to visit my old apartment building I lived in 2 years ago...that was weird. Little has changed, except it seems like more people have moved into the area and new hotels have been built. Taiwan will always feel like home away from home...
Right now I'm still trying to get over a cold. I must have caught it from one of my students, or on the plane. I'm feeling much better though... because I've been pampering myself each day. Today I went to a salon to get a facial and threading. Threading is an age-old technique of pulling all the hairs off your face, also shaping your eyebrows, etc. It's slightly less painful than waxing, but the results are incredible. In about 30 minutes, I'm going to a spa with my cousin to relax even more. My body is just sore from being sick from the past few days of heavy traveling and little sleep.
Last night I watched the new Zhang Ziyi film "The Banguet." http://www.thebanquetthemovie.com/
It was a cinematic masterpiece, visually stunning and romantic... but the whole story line was awkward and over the top. I wouldn't reccommend it. Don't waste your money on this film. I'm getting tired of watching Zhang Ziyi play the same roles over and over again...
That's all for now. See you all back on Jeju!
