Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Gender equality?

Tomorrow my school is hosting a "Gender Equality" forum, where visiting teachers and administrators will be able to observe different classrooms and teaching strategies. Since my school is co-ed, these visiting teachers want to evaluate teaching methods and assess the students' level of knowledge, not taking into account their gender. (My school apparently is a "research" school... still not sure what that means...)

So someone please explain this... if my school is trying to promote "Gender Equality," then WHY ARE THE CLASSROOMS SEGREGATED BY GENDER!!!! The girls eat separately from the boys. The boys and girls NEVER stand in line together. The boys and girls never have class or gym together. The girls have a separate hallway than the girls. NONE of the 7 classes are co-ed. On the surface, I teach at a "co-ed" school. But either teach an all-boys or an all-girls class. The dynamics are completely different. I sometimes have to modify my lessons to keep my students' interest in class. Gender equality? I think not.

Only in Korea kids, only in Korea.