Day 1- Arrival at Aunt and Uncle's house in Pudong. First stop, a real American dinner at "Blue Frog." I ordered nachos, a Greek Salad, a Mexican burger, and a frozen peach margarita. So much for eating healthy before hitting the beach...
Day 2- Hong Kong Shopping Plaza, electronic shopping mall (where I bought a 1GB flash disk for $15) , Xintiandi, the urban tourist attraction (http://www.xintiandi.com/), a live band, and a big 'ol Christmas tree.
Day 3- Arrival of Rohit. Walked Shanghai's waterfront, "The Bund," visited Yu Garden, heckled for cheaper prices on Chinese goods, dinner with Auntie Colleen and Uncle Albert at a Cantonese restuarant in the Galaxy Hotel, drinks with Crystal at Glamour Bar at 3 on the Bund.
Day 4- Shopping! Lunch at Din Tai Fung (the famous Taiwanese soup dumpling house) in Xintiandi, underground shopping, getting "locked-in" at a fake bag store... we're in China.... dinner at 239 with Crystal and friends. 239 restaurant was supposedly a fusion Peruvian restaurant.. simplistic yet warm interior design, food was not bad, mojitos were great. Of course Rohit bumped into a friend from his work. And Crystal's friend Mike grew up in the same neighborhood/ high school as Jeff. Big country. Small world.
Barbarosa in People's Square. A Moroccan themed hookah lounge.
Day 5- Indulgence. Pearl market and Shanghainese food with Auntie Ling, Facial at Lancome on Nanjing West Road, cocktails with Rohit's friend Pierre at People 7/ Shintori, Simply Thai dinner, and German bar with live band.
Day 6- Taiwanese food at "Belagio" (decadent...) FuXing Park, tai-chi, Hwai Hai Road shopping, dinner with fam, then off to cousin Naomi's winter band concert at the Shanghai American School... aka... Suburbia-utopia-in-China..what?
Last 2 days...
Urban Planning Museum, hang out with family, met up with Crystal, lunch with Auntie Ling, Starbucks on the Bund! Brazillian BBQ dinner with cousins, watched Zhang Yimou's "The Curse of the Golden Flower," starring Chow Yun-Fat, Gong Li, and Jay Chou. Incredible film. Impressive visual imagery and surprisingly fluid storyline.
Leaving Shanghai was hard. I extended my stay because honestly I didn't want to come back to Korea just yet. I was having a blast living in a real house with couches, a big bed, SPACE, and hanging out with family. It was as close to home as I have felt....
One more week until my official winter break. Yes, I am a vacation bum. You're young once, right? I get to see my family in Hawaii in one week. I can't wait! Christmas seems to be a couples only holiday here in Korea. Why is every holiday all about couples! What about the kids? Can we stop spoiling our significant others and celebrate the holidays for the children? I guess I shouldn't complain, since I'll be celebrating the holidays with my family so soon.. The holidays are just not the same without my family, shopping frenzy, SNOW, SKIING, and a whole lotta laying around at home.
Happy Holidays my friends!
